Saturday, April 4, 2020

When Time Stands Still

Yesterday was Friday.

Day 21 of the Fab 5 social distancing efforts. 

There are 698 confirmed cases of the Corona Virus in Kansas so far today.
Government officials recommended that we wear cloth masks when going out in public to prevent sharing our germs with others in more crowded spaces such as the grocery store. There are various DIY patterns all over the interwebs. 

Now, enough of that.

Samantha and I put on our whole face of makeup
(including our new lip gloss that arrived in the mail) and put on real clothes, just to feel like our normal feminine selves for a bit. Full Face Friday...it might become a thing. Watch Out!

We have completed one full week of continued learning or "At Home School" as my kiddos call it, at La Casa (err Escuela) De Faber. Fortunately for me, my career when this all started was a Stay At Home Momma, which is not that different than my role as Quarantine Chaos Manager. I mean my duties still include Sibling Refereeing, Food Service Manager, Sanitation Crew, Event Coordinator ...but with fewer events and a little less Chauffeuring...and a ton of explaining over and over why we can't go to the park or the Habitat or why Beckett or Brock or Andersyn can't come over, or why we can't go to Target just to look or that I have no idea when "The Sickness" will be over.

WHEN WILL THE SICKNESS BE OVER!?! 

The last 22 days have looked like a 3 week weekend for the most part at our house. We bum around together, with some worksheets and online learning thrown in.

April is 4 days in. 

I don't know about you, but it feels like we have 729 days to go before we see May. 

When time stands still. 

No matter what your Enneagram type...this chapter we are living in, was unexpected, and out of our norm. None of us went into this with a plan.

If you are farloughed, or laid off, this chapter might be a super stressful time. If you like order, the chaos may have you on your knees. If you are still working, this chapter might be a terrifying nightmare. I don't want you to get the impression that I am all daises and rainbows. I know the struggles and my heart hurts for those who are facing COVID-19 from a more difficult place, and not knowing when this uneasy chapter will end or if the next one will be any better than the one we are living in now.
It is frightening.

From my seat in this Quarentine, I have to choose. Choose to see the good without seeking an understanding of why or for how long. My only job is to keep my family as safe and healthy as I am capable of. The way hasn't been paved by those before me. I'm just making up the rules as I go. Today I have to choose to soak up the moments when time stands still because how many people have never got this opportunity to reset? 

My son is six. You Momma's know how quickly that time flies and as much as I refuse to believe it...rumor is that he's not going to want to snuggle his momma forever. That he won't cry uncontrollably through Call Of The Wild because he is sad that Buck is losing his man.  He may not always tell me that I am "best momma ever" or laugh hysterically at the term "Brain Fart"...ok he might still laugh at that. My point is, that despite all this chaos and scary uncontrollable circumstances, I am so grateful that life slowed down for just a bit so that I have the time to savor these snuggles and giggles and raw emotion instead of being caught up in what happens next on our agenda.

2020 is going to be one for the History books. We all know that we are living though a time that we never imagined. 

It is weird. 

No one knows what to do with it. 

But I hope that you can look back on these weeks as an opportunity you were given to experience life while time stood still.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, it is a comin.

So, anyone else feel like maybe they are over all this COVID-19 2020 craziness ? Yeah me too.  This year is three fourths of the way over an...