Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Be Brave Together

I'm going to tell you about a few things I love.
I love that I have been given unexpected moments with my little kids.
I love that my little kids are so close they are often mistaken for twins.
I love that they are both passionate.
I love that they are funny.

A few things that have really pushed this momma to the edge through 50 days of social distancing...
SO MANY unexpected moments.
My kids are so close they fight...a lot.
They are both passionate about being the only right in every situation.
They are funny...and tease...and the other is rarely amused.

Lately my heart has hurt and I have often worried bout what I am doing so wrong that they don't show one another how much they love the other, that they support one another, that they can be built-in best friends that have each others backs till the end of time. (I know they are only 4 and 6) Just as I had the heaviness of this from a day of bickering, my youngest tripped up the front steps.

Blood curdling screams filled the air. A shrub curtained my view from what was happening. I take a deep breath, mid inhale, I hear the kind gentle words of a big brother and I freeze.

"I know, it hurts so bad. Yes, you do have a little bit of blood...it's ok, it's ok...it is a little bit scary but I'm going to help you, let me carry you to this chair."
"Mom, a little help here, my little sister fell and hurt her knee. There's some blood"
Tears flood down my cheeks.


I ran in, grabbed the fun bandaids and the "no sting owie foam" (thanks Mac) and headed out to my patient. Again, I pause before approaching the scene.
"I'm right here with you (patting her tiny leg with his tiny hand). Jesus made me your big brother so that I can help you be brave. We'll be brave together, ok?"
I'm nearly bawling, I can't get my phone out of my pocket fast enough to capture one millisecond of this perfect sweet moment.

He puts his little arm around her to help her walk awkwardly into the house and even let her pick a show to watch while they rest. 

I found myself drowning in gratitude. I was so grateful that my kids not only love one another but they can indeed show kindness and compassion. Not only that, but I was there to see and hear the tenderness of my son. It seems a little silly but I was so proud of him. I was so proud that at six years old he could be an excellent big brother. I always wanted a big brother like that. A best friend and protector.

On this day, my heart so needed to see these tiny humans show love...to one another. Did I want my little one to scrape her little knee...no, of course not, but I am so glad that she got to see how much her big brother loves her. 🥰

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, it is a comin.

So, anyone else feel like maybe they are over all this COVID-19 2020 craziness ? Yeah me too.  This year is three fourths of the way over an...