Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Means Hope

I feel that God puts in situations that we often do not understand, nor do we fully grasp the significance of at that moment in time.  One thing that my Dad told me when I was learning to drive was "no matter how fast you go, someone else's is going faster."  Naturally there were times where I tried to challenge those words, and received the tickets to prove it.  However, it is extremely important to recognize that no matter what challenges you face there is someone out there that has it worse.  I love it when God puts a challenge in my way, that I know I can't handle without Him.  To me I accept it as His faith in me to NOT take it unto myself, but to yield to His amazing strength. 

This last week, a close personal friend of mine has experienced a roller coaster of life's challenges.  His amazing wife began to experience complications during the end of her pregnancy.  This ended in a emergency C-Section, which yielded a healthy beautiful girl.  However, his wife took a major turn for the worse.  She had to be life flighted to another hospital than her baby, and to make it worse it was in a city an hour away.  As a father, what do you do?  You have a new baby in the NICU and a wife battling for her life an hour away in ICU.  The outpouring of love and support on Facebook, twitter, texts and email had to lift spirits or at least knowing that they had hundreds and thousands praying for  them specifically.  He chose to go with his wife, since her parents would stay with his new daughter (who was listed as in stable condition).  As his wife battled for her life, they Dr.'s were careful in what to say, as today's society has forced us to protect ourselves from possible lawsuits.  The power of prayer began to work, and as the hours passed and surgeries went by God's healing power began to overcome the medical concerns.  Dialysis ended up saving her liver, and has allowed a beginning towards a long recovery. 

Once out of the scary shadow of death, my friend was speaking to her new Dr. who was the attending of the new "Non-ICU Unit" said something that hit home.  The Dr. said that it was great to see her doing so well, when a few days ago she was fighting for her life.  Words can hit each of us in different ways, and who they are intended to represent or describe has a huge impact on us.  When he heard what the Dr. said, when it verified what he knew deep down...  I can not begin to describe the emotion I am sure was pulsating through his body.  Over the next day or so, she regained some strength and was able to sit up for extended periods of time.  They agreed that it was time for he and her parents to switch places, because he had a house to get ready for two of his favorite girls!!!

The story unfortunately does not end here, upon arriving home he realized that his house had been broken into.  They took all their electronics, and even his wife's pearl engagement ring.  Through ALL of this, he has stayed stronger than I am sure he feels he has.  He has been a amazing example of what God wants us to be as men, husbands, and fathers.  He said that everything that was taken was material, and replaceable.  WOW, powerful words for an emotionally drained, physically exhausted man !!! But I challenge anyone to question anyone who may be emotionally drained, or physically exhausted when spiritually his cup runneth over. 

As I look at my past week, I lost a truck (motor died), I saw savings dwindle to almost nothing (and going fast since a cheap car is now required).  But I have seen God work in the life of someone that not only was strong even to trust in God to get him through, but was willing to allow his to have a glimpse of what he was going through.  I think it is amazing how God's power can give us strength when we do not know we have it, but I love it when a possible devastating life event is turned around by our loving and masterful God.  He chose to enter and guide their path towards a soon to be full recovery. 

Often I catch myself asking why I am in a situation, I feel I am a good person and try to do the right thing and feel sorry for myself when I do not get the outcome I feel I deserve.   This week I was proud of the way my friend handled himself, his emotions, and the way he was a light for God through it all.  I so excited for the way that God has worked out the eventual outcome. 

As you enjoy family this weekend, and reflect on what the true meaning of Easter is I challenge you to pray for someone other than you.  Hold your family tight, God's spiritual gifts far outweigh anything that you may acquire in life.  I have a friendship with a man that I know God is using as an example to others, and I can't think of anyone who I would have chose to represent God on the platform he was given. 

May God bless each of you in the year to come, and may God bless my amazing family. 
Don't forget that Easter is a celebration of our Lord Jesus' Resurrection.

(Deryk)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, it is a comin.

So, anyone else feel like maybe they are over all this COVID-19 2020 craziness ? Yeah me too.  This year is three fourths of the way over an...